Photograph of teachers and students in front of St. Mark's Episcopal Church Mission School.
The Mission School was founded in 1920 by Ethel Bernard. It was located at 719 Harnett Street, Wilmington, NC and overseen by the Rev. Edward S. Willett, who was the rector of St. Mark's. The school was open to small children of any denomination. A playground at N. 8th Street was also part of the summer work of the mission school, with teachers and volunteers from the school helping at the playground.
Church schools--United States; African American--History; African American educators
Reaves, Bill. Strength Through Struggle. Wilmington: New Hanover County Public Library, 1998.
Donated to the New Hanover County Public Library by Margaret M. Bahan in 1993
Copyright is owned by the New Hanover County Public Library. For commercial or other use, permission must be granted.