Residents at the Catherine Kennedy home around Christmas time.
In 1852 several Wilmington, NCladies came together to help the poor and elderly of the town, specifically women. The driving force was Catherine deRosset Kennedy (1800-1889), who led the group to the formation of the Old Ladies Rest with six women living there, the predeccessor to the Catherine Kennedy Home. The Home moved several times over the years, ending up at 207 South Third Street in the 1940s. Upon the death of Catherine Kennedy in 1889 the Board of Directors voted to change the name to the Catherine Kennedy Home in her honor. The home provided security and care to the elderly for more then 150 years, until in 2000 the Board of Directors announced that the Home would permanently close its doors due to economic necessity. The Catherine Kennedy Foundation continues to use its proceeds to help the elderly, and has awarded more than one million dollars in grants to programs for the elderly in North Carolina.
Women--Societies and clubs
Catherine Kennedy Home Papers 1868-1999, Sp. Coll. #1226
Donated by the Catherine Kennedy Home to the New Hanover County Public Library in June 2000
Copyright is owned by the New Hanover County Public Library. For commercial or other use, permission must be granted.