Hanover Seaside Club members standing in front of their new clubhouse on Wrightsville Beach, NC.
In 1897 in order to promote beach property and increase river passenger service, the New Hanover Transit Company offered ocean front lots in Carolina Beach to two clubs that were organizing, one of which was the Hanover Seaside Club. The club was composed of mostly German immigrant families seeking relief from the summer heat in the days prior to air-conditioning. The club was incorporated on March 18, 1898. The clubhouse remained in Carolina Beach for nine years, at which time it was decided to build another clubhouse at Wrightsville Beach in 1906. Due to damage from a storm and the construction of a railway to Wrightsville Beach, the property at Carolina Beach was sold.
Henrietta Gieschen Digital Collection
Given to the New Hanover County Public Library by Henrietta Gieschen
Copyright is owned by the New Hanover County Public Library. For commercial or other use, permission must be granted.